Thursday 24 March 2016

Drugstore Product Reviews

Hello Everyone! So I have been trying a lot of different drugstore products since the year has started and I wanted to review some of them today!




The first thing i'm going to talk about is the Real Techniques Core Collection. I put off getting these brushes for ages and I think this is a good set of brushes for the price. My favourite brush in the set is the Buffing Brush- however I still prefer using the Real Techniques sponge to blend out my foundation because I prefer the finish it gives. The set comes with four brushes, a buffing brush, a pointed foundation brush (that is too small to use to apply foundation), a contour brush, and a detailer brush. I like to use the detailer brush to highlight my inner corners. I don't contour often so I don't get alot of use from the contour brush but I still think this set is a great value and is worth picking up. I would rate it 3.7/5.




Next I'd like to talk about the Rimmel Wake Me up Foundation. I picked this up after hearing rave reviews of this foundation for dry skin. This foundation is extremely affordable considering its drugstore price point. I find that I have to use primer in order for this foundation to look decent on my skin or else it looks sort of mask like and accentuates texture. I also feel that it is best applied with a damp sponge. As long as my skin is primed, I find that it does have a nice finish on my skin but I have a few gripes with this foundation. First of all, Rimmel in general has a terrible shade selection for foundations and concealers. It's really unfortunate that some brands don't cater to all skin tones. I have this foundation in the second lightest shade called True Ivory and even though I'm not that fair, I still have to mix this with a lighter toned foundation. The next problem I have with the foundation is that it contains small shimmers. This has to do with the brightening claim that the foundation has. I guess they added shimmer in order to make the skin look more lively and glowy? I knew that there were small glitters in this foundation before I purchased it- but alot of the reviewers who mentioned the shimmers said that they were undetectable on the skin.  In reality, it makes you look like a Twilight cast member in direct sunlight. I couldn't figure out why people kept staring at me on the bus and I now know its because my face was a glitter bomb. The effect does wear down after a while and I don't look as glittery but it still isn't very flattering if you;re in direct sunlight after the initial application. I have found though that by mixing this foundation to help custom my shade, the glitter is toned down alot. The last gripe I have with this foundation is the wear time. I knew it wasn't very long lasting from the previous reviews I saw but don't expect this foundation to last you all day or in the heat. It does start to fade after a while especially where I have the most redness on my face. I felt like the setting spray I used wasn't really able to help prolong this foundations wear time. Overall I would rate this foundation a 2.5/5. It's not too bad if you can find your shade, but I probably won't repurchase it.







Next up is the Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer. I heard about this pina colada scented bronzer through Kathleenlights. She was raving about the neutral tone of this bronzer and how nice it looks on the skin. I also really like this bronzer but I definitely think Physician's Formula should come out with more shades for darker skin tones. This bronzer comes in two shades and I have the darker shade of the two that is literally called "bronzer" (haha very clever Physician's Formula). Although this is the darkest shade, it still runs very light and may not show up on most skin tones as you can see from the swatch above. It comes with a sponge type applicator that is found in the compartment beneath the product along with a mirror. Physician's Formula also claims that this bronzer is infused with Murumuru butter that melts into the skin to help lock in moisture. I do find alot of claims of makeup products to be kind of gimmicky so I cannot attest to seeing any of the "hydrating benefits" that this bronzer claims to have. Overall I would definitely recommend this bronzer for anyone with pale-light skin and hopefully additional bronzer shades will be released. 4.5/5





I also tried the Maybelline Lash Sensational Luscious Full Fan Effect Waterproof Mascara. I like this mascara alot. I'm really not very picky with mascaras- as long as they don't flake off, I'm fine. Believe it or not I find that many mascaras give the same effect on my lashes so I've enjoyed most of the ones I've tried. I do like this mascara for my upper lashes as it doesn't flake off throughout the day, nor does it weigh them down. I also love it for my bottom lashes since the wand is fairly small. I would rate this 4/5.




I have been enjoying Hard Candy's Fast & Fabulous Setting Spray as well these past few months. I use it quite often and still have alot left in the bottle. It really does prolong my makeup and I also like using it to apply eyeshadows wet. I'd give it a 4/5 since it might be a tad bit drying for those with dry skin.



The last products I'd like to talk about are two nail polishes I've been enjoying. One is from Essence in the shade 03 i'm lost in you  and the other is from Revlon in the shade Romantique. I prefer the formula of the Revlon one slightly more but both apply well and look beautiful.

Thanks for reading! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment